top of page

The Law Offices Of Elaine O. San Juan diligently counsel and represent clients on U.S. immigration matters throughout the United States and from any part of the world. We help both individuals and corporations on all matters that relate to U.S. Immigration, Naturalization Law. Applying for legal residency in the United States on either a permanent or temporary basis can be a complex and intimidating task for anyone taking it on alone. However, the likelihood of your success can increase dramatically when you have solid legal experience and a comprehensive knowledge of immigration law on your side.

Family-based and Business-based Immigration. 


We provide comprehensive and cost-effective transactional immigration services depending on the client’s purpose in coming to the United States – be it simply for a short visit, or to study, be with a loved one or reunite with a family member, work temporarily or permanently, or even conduct business here in the United States. Our services include not only representation of individuals in their change of status or adjustment of status applications, but also include assistance in consular processing of visas to the United States. We also represent small and mid-sized businesses in filling-in their need for temporary or permanent workers in the United States.

U.S. Citizenship and Naturalization. 


As U.S. citizenship is obtained either through birth in the United States or through naturalization, we help clients prepare and file their citizenship applications, carefully advising them of issues that must be addressed in order to avoid potential problems that could arise in the course of adjudication.

VAWA (Violence Against Women Act) Cases. 


We provide assistance to abused spouses of U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents, who need immigration protection under VAWA.  As a battered spouse, child or parent, you may file an immigrant visa petition under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), as amended by the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). The VAWA provisions in the INA allow certain spouses, children, and parents of U.S. citizens and certain spouses and children of permanent residents (Green Card holders) to file a petition for themselves, without the abuser's knowledge. This allows victims to seek both safety and independence from their abuser, who is not notified about the filing. The VAWA provisions, which apply equally to women and men, are permanent and do not require congressional reauthorization.  


Who is a Green Card Holder (Permanent Resident)?

A Green Card holder (permanent resident) is someone who has been granted authorization to live and work in the United States on a permanent basis. As proof of that status, a person is granted a permanent resident card, commonly called a “Green Card.” You can become a permanent resident several different ways. Most individuals are sponsored by a family member or employer in the United States. Other individuals may become permanent residents through refugee or asylee status or other humanitarian programs. In some cases, you may be eligible to file for yourself.


The United States welcomes thousands of foreign workers in multiple occupations or employment categories every year. These include artists, researchers, cultural exchange participants, information technology specialists, religious workers, investors, scientists, athletes, nurses, agricultural workers and others. All foreign workers must obtain permission to work legally in the United States. Each employment category for admission has different requirements, conditions and authorized periods of stay. It is important that you adhere to the terms of your application or petition for admission and visa. Any violation can result in removal or denial of re-entry into the United States.

Temporary Worker 

A temporary worker is an individual seeking to enter the United States temporarily for a specific purpose. Nonimmigrants enter the United States for a temporary period of time, and once in the United States, are restricted to the activity or reason for which their nonimmigrant visa was issued.

Permanent Worker 

A permanent worker is an individual who is authorized to live and work permanently in the United States.

Student and Exchange Visitor 

Students and exchange visitors may, under certain circumstances, be allowed to work in the United States. They must obtain permission from an authorized official at their school. The authorized official is known as a Designed School Official (DSO) for students and the Responsible Officer (RO) for exchange visitors.

Information for Employers & Employees

Employers must verify that an individual whom they plan to employ or continue to employ in the United States is authorized to accept employment in the United States. Individuals, such as those who have been admitted as permanent residents, granted asylum or refugee status, or admitted in work-related non-immigrant classifications, may have employment authorization as a direct result of their immigration status. Other aliens may need to apply individually for employment authorization.


Temporary Visitors for Business

To visit the United States for business purposes you will need to obtain a visa as a temporary visitor for business (B-1 visa), unless you qualify for admission without a visa under the Visa Waiver Program. For more information on the topics above, select the category related to your situation to the left.

Contact the Law Offices of Elaine O. San Juan by calling us at 818-748-8872 to discuss a work visa or employment-related immigration concern. You may also contact us online to schedule a confidential consultation.

bottom of page